Every dog has its day—a birthday that is. Your pup’s turning another year older (how many is that in dog years?), and you’re looking to celebrate with them in style.
Perhaps it’s time to make the occasion truly special by mastering a dog birthday cake recipe.
Whether you’re looking to totally spoil your pup or offer them a cake with some surprising health benefits, we’ve chosen the 5 best cakes that you can make at home. Pick an easy dog birthday cake recipe and enjoy the smile on your dog’s face as they dig into a scrumptious, celebratory treat.
#1 The Puppy Pumpkin Cake
Is your dog’s birthday during the fall season or do they just have a positively autumnal vibe that you can’t ignore? A pumpkin cake is not only a fall favorite, it’s also a great pick for a dog with a more sensitive stomach.
Pumpkin is high in fiber and is known to bring digestive benefits for dogs, so if your pooch is prone to tummy trouble, a pumpkin cake could be the way to go. Additionally, this recipe includes applesauce, which can add a little sweetness without causing any stomach problems.
Before you start your cooking, be sure to gather up the following ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup pumpkin pureé
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1-2 tablespoons local honey
Once you have your ingredients ready, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare two round baking pans with oil and flour. Then you’ll want to:
- Whisk – Using a mixing bowl, whisk your flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon together.
- Mix – Combine the pumpkin, applesauce, peanut butter, eggs, and honey with an electric mixer. Once these ingredients are combined, add in the whisked ingredients from the mixing bowl.
- Bake – Evenly divide the batter into your pans, place it in the oven, and bake for 30-40 minutes. Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes in the pan before transferring them out to continue cooling.
Voila, you have a delicious pumpkin cake for your dog to chow down on—you might even feel inclined to take a piece for yourself.
Of course, a plain cake might be a little boring to look at, so consider creating a dog-friendly frosting for the cake. Add peanut butter and unsweetened yogurt to a mixer and beat the ingredients together until they form a smooth consistency. This sweet and tangy blend is perfect for spreading on your pumpkin cake.
Now you can add a couple of candles and start singing happy birthday to your special pup.
#2 The No-Bake Dog Cake
Looking for a super simple way to create a canine-friendly birthday treat? Consider trying this no-bake recipe to avoid ever even turning on the oven.
Whether it’s just too hot to bake or you’re in a rush to get your doggy cake completed, a no-bake cake can still pack plenty of flavor.
This no-bake cake is super simple, just make sure you have a blender and the following ingredients:
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup banana
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup of water
This recipe works best in the form of mini-cakes or cupcakes, so consider modifying your plan to create some bite-sized treats instead of one big cake.
To create your no-bake doggy cake, follow these instructions:
- Blend – Add banana slices and almond butter into your blender and blend until they create a smooth liquid.
- Add – Place the water and Greek yogurt in your blender and blend again, until all your ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Pour – Take the contents of the blender and pour it into a lined cake pan or cupcake pan. For added fun, garnish your blended mixture with delicious turkey dog biscuits.
- Freeze – Place the tray in the freezer. The time will vary depending on the temperature of your freezer, but once the mixture is fully frozen, you can remove it and start decorating.
#3 The Simple Savory Cake
Some pups just don’t have a sweet tooth. If your dog turns his nose up at cookies, ice cream, and traditional cakes, the best option for a birthday dessert is a savory cake.
Yes, your dog can still blow out the candles without having to indulge in a standard confection. A savory cake can take on many flavors and forms, whether you’re attempting a fishy souffle or organ meat masterpiece. This year, why not consider sticking with the tried and true—poultry.
Before you start cooking, make sure you have everything you need to get started, including:
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tub cream cheese
- 2 pouches of chicken baby food
- ¼ cup unsweetened peanut butter
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups flour
- 3 large egg
To bake your savory cake, follow these instructions:
- Preheat – Set your oven to 350 degrees to prepare a cake pan to oil and flour.
- Whisk – Add your flour and baking powder to a bowl and whisk the ingredients together.
- Mix – In a separate bowl, add softened butter and beat until smooth. Then add your vegetable oil and eggs, mixing thoroughly as you add. After that, add your carrots and chicken baby food. Finally, add the flour and baking powder mixture, taking your time to slowly mix everything together.
- Bake – Add your batter to your cake pan, put the pan in the oven, and give the cake approximately 60 minutes to bake.
- Decorate – This cake pairs perfectly with a cream cheese and peanut butter frosting. Mix the two ingredients together and spread them evenly across the cake. Afterward, feel free to add your dog’s favorite treats. We think a maple bacon CBD treat crumbled on top could make for a truly mouthwatering dish.
#4 The Dog-Friendly Carrot Cake
Looking to add a little crunch to your cake? Dog’s enjoy carrot cake just as much as their owners—perhaps more if you’re not particularly fond of the flavor.
This fibrous recipe is great for sensitive dogs, prone to food allergies. While it still packs in some sweetness, you can rest assured that it’s not too rich or sugary for your furry pal.
First things first, your ingredients will include:
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
These portions are enough to fill a 6-inch cake pan, so feel free to adjust to fit your serving size. Additionally, this cake will be fine for a few days in the refrigerator, so don’t feel like you have to finish the whole thing the day you bake it.
Follow these instructions to create a delicious and dog-friendly carrot cake:
- Prepare – Heat your oven to 350 degrees and add some oil to your cooking pan so your cake doesn’t stick.
- Mix – Add the honey, oil, peanut butter, and egg to a mixing bowl and stir well. Next, add the carrots, carefully stirring everything together. Finally, fold in the flour and baking soda to complete the batter.
- Bake – This recipe calls for about 40 minutes of baking and then 10 to 15 minutes to fully cool before you can decorate, or just start digging in. You may be tempted to take a bite the moment you get it out of the oven, but a little patience will pay off if you can avoid burning your (and your pup’s) mouth on this delicious cake.
#5 The Banana Apple Vegan Cake
Looking for a birthday cake option with absolutely no animal products? For vegan dogs (and dog owners) this recipe is a great choice. Fruity, rich, but not too sweet—you and your dog can definitely dig into the banana apple vegan cake.
You’ll need the following ingredients to begin:
- 1 banana, mashed
- ¼ cup apple cut and diced
- ¼ cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Whether you prefer Granny Smith or Fuji apples, the choice is yours. This is a recipe with some room for customization.
With your ingredients easily accessible, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, begin the process by following these steps:
- Mix – Add your apple, banana, and apple sauce to a mixing bowl, then stir in the almond flour, baking soda, and water. Work the mixture until everything is thoroughly mixed
- Prepare the pan – We recommend greasing your pan with coconut oil to ensure nothing sticks and to add a hint of coconut flavoring to your cake.
- Bake – Add your mixture to your pan, place in the oven, and wait about 30 minutes for everything to cook. Maybe play a game of fetch with your pup to pass the time. After the allotted time, take your cake out and allow it to cool for at least 20 minutes.
When it comes to decorations, we suggest adding sliced bananas, more apples, or a dollop of unsweetened yogurt. Make it as artistic as you’d like. Even if your dog doesn’t appreciate the visual feast, they’ll certainly appreciate the taste.
Give Your Dog Something To Celebrate With Canna-Pet
Break out the candles, blow up the balloons, and strap on your party hat, there’s no reason not to go all out for your pup’s b-day. That said, if you’re looking for a treat that they’ll appreciate every day, it’s time to check out Canna-Pet.
Along with informational posts covering topics like positive reinforcement dog training or how to train an emotional support dog, we’re also global pioneers of hemp-CBD for pets, meaning we’ve spent years perfecting our products for your dog’s happiness and health. Whether you try our Advanced Formula Capsules or our amazing organic treats, your dog can gain all the benefits of CDB. Make this year something special for your dog with a gift from Canna-Pet.
- The Bake Dept. Carrot Peanut Butter Doggo Cake. https://www.thebakedept.com/2021/09/carrot-peanut-butter-doggo-cake.html
- My Homemade Kitchen. Chicken & carrot doggie birthday cake. http://myhomemadekitchen.co.za/2020/02/28/chicken-carrot-doggie-birthday-cake/
- Cake Decorist. No-Bake Dog Cake Recipe. https://cakedecorist.com/no-bake-dog-cake-recipe/
- The Dog Bakery. 7 Best Vegan Birthday Cake Recipes for Dogs.
- Love From The Oven. Spoiled Dog Cake Recipe.