When it comes to our beloved canines and their eating habits, it’s really quite simple: dogs love food. Unlike their humans, however, they will eat just about anything first – and leave you asking questions later. Unfortunately, most pet parents have experienced a look from their pooch that says, “Why is this happening to me?” after they’ve eaten something that makes them sick to their stomachs – or worse yet, critically ill. Therefore, it is imperative for dog owners to know the facts when it comes to what foods are toxic to dogs.
While the lists of toxic foods for dogs is long and full of surprises, it is important to know that there are many common foods that are toxic to your dog. Large or small, plump or thin, dangerous foods are everywhere, both inside and outside the house.
For example, in Tennessee recently a beautiful, 85 lb., 3-year-old Husky mix named Canon suffered from canine liver failure and died after somehow ingesting Xylitol, which is used to sweeten chewing gum and other diet foods. Signs that a dog has been poisoned by Xylitol include canine weakness, vomiting, seizures, trembling, diarrhea and acute collapse, according to Pet Health Network.
Canon’s death was reported nationwide. His owners told journalists that they don’t know how or where he ate the food that killed him. The story certainly presents yet another good reason to dispose gum properly rather than spit it out on the sidewalk or grass. It also encourages dog owners to keep an eye out for gum in places where people leave it behind. If you notice that your dog ate gum and you don’t know what to do, it’s always best to call your veterinarian However, gum isn’t the only dangerous food – other items that contain Xylitol include candy, toothpaste and other artificially-sweetened drinks and foods.
Becoming more informed about foods that are toxic to your dog keeps your pet safer and gives you the knowledge needed to act appropriately when toxic foods are present around your dog – or in worst-case scenarios, ingested by your beloved fur baby.
A-Z List Of Foods Toxic To Dogs: Pet Owners Beware
Unfortunately, the list of foods that can make dogs terribly sick or even kill them is quite long. But once you know what they are, it is easy to see how and why they are so dangerous. Although this may not be a complete inventory of foods to keep away from dogs, the following is a list of several well-known foods and ingredients that are particularly dangerous to your very best friend:
- Alcohol/Beer/Hops: Your dog is no match for alcohol: in addition to becoming intoxicated and vulnerable to the unsteadiness and disorientation that humans experience, your beloved pup can even end up in a coma or worse yet, dying from ingesting the hard stuff. Whether it’s in the form of hard liquor, beer or wine, your dog’s liver is unable to process any type of alcohol, which essentially acts as a poison within his body.
- Avocados: While it may be tempting to feed your dog table scraps, don’t. Dogs cannot eat avocados and they can even get very sick if it’s consumed. Forego feeding Fido guacamole toast – avocados are full of persin, a fungicidal toxin that can cause serious problems in your pup’s stomach. In fact, these toxins can result in acute digestion problems for dogs, so be wary when cooking, handling or preparing avocados in your home – this also applies to the garbage, as you’ll want to carefully dispose any leftover food containing the fruit.
It’s important to note that persin is in the leaves, seeds, bark and fruit of avocados, so people with avocado trees need to keep their dogs away from the area and scattered debris. Additionally, the size of avocado pits (much like a big chunk of corn-on-the-cob, which should also be kept away from your pet due to choking hazard), can kill dogs by getting stuck in their digestive tracts. It’s therefore recommended to keep a watchful eye on your dog when avocados are being served or prepared, whether it’s in your kitchen or outdoors at a family barbeque. The last thing you want is a choking dog or having to witness them becoming ill due to an avocado.
- Caffeine/Chocolate: Many people know that chocolate isn’t good for their dog, but they may not know why. For humans, both caffeine and chocolate contain ingredients that speed up the heart and set your nervous system into overdrive; unfortunately, this goes double or triple for your dog. Depending on how much a dog eats of items containing caffeine and/or chocolate of any kind – the darker, the more dangerous. A dog that has eaten chocolate can lead to symptoms like vomiting, heart palpitations and in worst-case scenarios, seizures or death.
Note: Just like most humans, dogs love chocolate. That means they may eat some no matter what you do to prevent them from getting into it. Check out PetMD’s dog chocolate toxicity meter for helpful information. The toxicity meter can help you better understand how much chocolate (as well as what kinds of chocolate) will impact your pet. If you see that your dog has eaten any chocolate or caffeine, it’s best to act immediately and contact your trusted vet.
- Coconut Water/Sports Drinks/Sodas: Many of the ingredients included in the drinks we consume on a daily basis is overwhelming to a dog’s metabolism. For example, coconut water is too high in potassium for your dog. Sports drinks and sodas are loaded with caffeine, sodium, electrolytes and vitamins that are unhealthy for canine consumption. Quench your dog’s thirst with fresh, clean water instead of sharing your drinks with him when you are out and about, and be sure to bring a portable bowl with you when traveling.
- Fruit Pits and Seeds: Apples, peaches, plums and avocado seeds and pits contain toxins that are poisonous to dogs, as well as people. However, dogs are much smaller, so it takes fewer apple seeds, which produce cyanide when they are eaten, to put them in danger. Therefore, always remove small seeds and pits from fruit, including pits that may pose as a choking hazard, as well as pits/seeds that could become lodged in their intestines.
This also includes watermelon – while this fruit may be a favorite snack for your dog, seeded watermelon is among the list of foods poisonous to dogs. Use sliced, seedless watermelon for a delicious fruit treat. In addition, be careful of the rind when feeding watermelon to your pooch: much like corn on the cob, a big chunk of rind can become lodged in a dog’s digestive tract and cause gastrointestinal trouble. Visit this link for additional inf